Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Les Miserables

This story has been told in almost every available media. Originally there was Victor Hugo’s lengthy novel, then into many films, and then into a musical adaptation. Unfortunately, I have not had the time to read the original novel, so I don’t actually have any clue what the plot is about. From my understanding based on Wikipedia, it’s about a man named Jean Valjean, who was imprisoned, set free, and then had some crazy shit happen. After that, it’s all rather vague. There’s some prostitute chick, who has like a daughter, and then there’s this guy who’s chasing them, and I really have no idea what I’m talking about here. Something about the French and revolution.

But, while I may be oblivious to the plot, I am not oblivious to good music. The songs are amazing. They are emotive, and contain such a depressing grandeur, that you actually want to sit through a long and confusing musical performance. They songs are catchy and memorable, but not in an irritating or obnoxious manner. While all the songs are fascinating, this music does fall victim to the trap of reprises. I am not a fan of reprises. I have already heard the song; I do not need to here a crappier version of what I heard twenty minutes ago.

Despite my neurosis, Claude-Michel Schönberg composed a beautiful collection of songs, most notably At the End of the Day, I Dreamed a Dream, Castle on a Cloud, Master of the House, Do You Hear the People Sing?, and On My Own. While the music is worth a listen, I remain unconvinced that the album is worth buying. Come to your own conclusions.

2 comments:

LoquaciousL said...

The soundtrack for the musical is 100,000% worth buying. The lyrics are witty and colorful, the music inspiring and spiritual. This is coming from an atheist!

The book is also well worth reading. I first read it at age 12, so anything would have seemed a good escape from my own life, but I re-read it three years ago, and I still loved it. I would definitely recommend reading the abridged version, though, and only trying the expanded version if you LOVE the short one. The expanded version is full of random philosophical treatises and historical dissertations. The philosophy is often beautiful, but the "history" really should be viewed as an extension of the fiction.

~Lauren

Via Media said...

Perhaps I will read the abridged version. I tried to read the unabridged once, and that went poorly. Over the summer, mayhaps.