Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Fiddler on the Roof

Apparently I’m on a musical rampage. After I got off my Les Miserables kick last week, I jumped onto the Fiddler on the Roof wagon. For this musical, I actually know the plot because I’ve actually seen it. It’s about a poor Jew who needs to marry off his daughters while living in Eastern Europe and maintaining his religion’s traditions. During this time, there is increased aggression against Jews, but this is not a musical about European racism. Instead, this is about a father who must try to do what is right for his daughters’ happiness, but stay true to his God.

With beautiful and well-known music (Tradition, Matchmaker, If I were a Rich Man, etc.), Fiddler on the Roof is worth watching until the end. Also, it also dislikes needless reprises that would have otherwise gotten on my nerves. The music is perhaps not something to listen to repeatedly, but still worth enjoying a few times.

2 comments:

LoquaciousL said...

I particularly enjoyed the way each daughter chose a husband who was less acceptable than the last. The oldest chose one who was just young, the middle one who was (vaguely) unemployed, and the youngest, a Gentile. And the father could not accept the Gentile: racism is a two-way street.

But the song "Miracle of Miracles" makes me want to take a hot iron to my ears so I will never have to suffer through such saccharine bilge ever again.

Via Media said...

I liked the daughter thing because it did have the whole law of three and the law of the weight of the stern going on, from a literary perspective.

Now, now, my dear, no one likes an angry atheist. Though it does irritate me how completely sexist the song and culture is.